hg皇冠老牌's 80-acre campus bordering the famed Cliff Walk exemplifies significant developments in the architectural, historical and cultural heritage of 19th- and early 20th-century America. The University continues to act as a steward of this heritage and is actively engaged in preserving the splendor of its Gilded Age properties, while also adapting them for educational use.
Campus Heritage Preservation Plan
In 2002, hg皇冠老牌 became the first New England institution to receive a Getty Grant Program award to develop a campus heritage preservation plan.
一个全面的, “生活”系统, the preservation plan supports hg皇冠老牌's continuing efforts to identify, assess and plan for the preservation and adaptive reuse of the University's historically significant campus buildings and landscapes.
The preservation plan includes a detailed review of 21 historically significant buildings which are part of seven contiguous 19th-century estates that distinguish hg皇冠老牌's historic campus. Also included are full existing conditions reports, restorative plans and, where appropriate, comprehensive recommendations and plans for adaptive reuse.
The preservation plan provides further structure and resources for the University's practice of utilizing its campus as an academic "living laboratory." It has also been integrated as an important component of hg皇冠老牌's academic program in cultural and historic preservation, affording students countless opportunities for independent study.
- 2019: Newport Restoration Foundation's Doris Duke Historic Preservation Award (Ochre Point Avenue and Shepard Avenue fencing)
- 2019: Newport Restoration Foundation’s Doris Duke Preservation Award (Vinland estate ironwork)
- 2016: Newport Tree Society’s Citizen Forester Award
- 2016: The Morton Arboretum, Level II Accreditation
- 2016: Arbor Day Foundation Tree Campus USA Award
- 2015: Arbor Day Foundation Tree Campus USA Award
- 2014: Arthur Ross Award for Stewardship
- 2014: Institute of Classical Architecture & Art’s Arthur Ross Stewardship Award (campus-wide)
- 2014: American Institute of Architects’ Faith & Form Award (Our Lady of Mercy Chapel)
- 2013: Newport Restoration Foundation's Doris Duke Historic Preservation Award (Ochre Lodge carriage house)
- 2012: Palladio Award for New Design and Construction (Our Lady of Mercy Chapel)
- 2010: Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission’s Rhody Award (Stanford White Casino)
- 2006: National Historic Landmark (Antone Academic Center)
- 2003: Newport Historical Society's Historic Preservation Award (Stonor and Drexel Halls)
- 2002: Newport Historical Society's Historic Preservation Award (Tobin Hall)
- 2000: Official projects of Save America's Treasures (Ochre Court and Wakehurst)
- 2000: Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission's Preservation Award for Stewardship
- 1999: National Trust for Historic Preservation's National Preservation Honor Award
- 1999: Newport Historical Society's Historic Preservation Award (Young Building)
- 1997: Preservation Society of Newport County's Antiquarian Award for Distinguished Service in the Field of Historic Preservation
- 1997: Victorian Society in America's Resolution of Appreciation